Sunday, May 13, 2012

Ready. Set. Go!

Passport Photo
2 months! Exactly 2 months from today, I will be leavin' on a jet plane bound for India!

I'm not going to lie.  Now that this is real, I do have some anxiety.  The excitement outweighs the nervousness though.  I've never done something like this.  And as with all things that are new and exciting, anxiety is expected.  Right now, I'm still in preparation mode.  Plane tickets were bought at the end of March.  Since then, I've booked the extra tour to Delhi for sightseeing too (think Taj Mahal).  I've also purchased traveler's insurance.  I know I should take comfort in the fact that if I die while in India, the insurance agency will bring my body back...but I don't.  Hopefully, I don't have a need for that insurance. I'm scheduled to get my vaccinations at the end of May through the International Travel Clinic.  Some of the diseases I'm getting vaccinated for I haven't even heard of!  I've applied for my visa...that's a story in and of itself.  I had no idea applying for a travel visa would be so much more complicated than getting a passport.  I'm honestly surprised they didn't take a blood sample.  They asked for everything else!  Once my visa comes back, I'll be completely ready.  I do have some minor shopping to do though...lice shampoo (just in case).

I can handle the people with leprosy.  I will adore the kids; no worry there.  I'm not afraid of hard work.  I can forget myself and serve these people.  I can squat to go to the bathroom.  I can drink from only bottled water.  I can be perpetually covered with DEET.  The main thing I'm worried about is...the heat!  I've always been pretty sensitive to heat and the sun.  I know that while I'm there, it will be 110+ degrees with high humidity.  That is the only thing that sounds miserable...I'll have to be extremely diligent about staying hydrated.

I'm also currently working on being sponsored.  If you would like to help donate to this cause and be my stateside partner while I'm in India, please go to www.risingstaroutreach.org and click "Donate Now."  Then you can become a Volunteer Partner.  Please be sure to enter my name in the box provided.  ANY help would be appreciated!  Thank you in advance!


No comments:

Post a Comment